Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Never missing a beat

I'm terrible when it comes to keeping in touch with people, even people whom I've known for years and are dear to me. I move to a new city. I promise to call. I get caught up in my work and my new life. You know the story. That's why I'm always overjoyed when I get to spend time with friends I haven't seen for ages and we can just pick up where we left off, never missing a beat.
Like last weekend. I know a bunch of guys in the philosophy department at Toronto through my boyfriend. We met at a conference (here in Chicago, actually) when I was pretty much new to serious philosophy. I was struck by them then and still am now--they're just such fun-loving, hard-working guys who are so excited about philosophy. But since we're in different cities, I almost never see them--unless there's a big philosophy event going on somewhere, like the workshop that my department organised last weekend.
It was great having them around. The night that they arrived, we piled into the car (one of us in the trunk) and hit Belly Shack for a late dinner. If you haven't been, it's this small joint located right beneath Western station on the blue line. I'm usually not excited by the idea of fusion--it can be done so badly--but Korean-Latin-American fusion where fast food meets gourmet eats? Yes. The togarashi-spiced fries are amazing, and I love their brown-rice bowl. I'm not entirely sure about what goes into it all, but there are a lot of wild, wonderful flavours in the mix. Everyone that night found something that hit the spot. I'll definitely be heading back for some huckleberry-lime soft-serve soon.
To my dear Toronto friends: thanks for all of the conversations and company--it's been inspiring--hopefully we'll see you back home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment